Official Community Plan

Official Community Plan and Zoning

Official Community Plan

Changing the OCP land use designation of an individual piece of property is rarely done on its own, but is jointly considered with a zoning change. In these cases, the procedures outlined in the Zoning Changes section, below would be followed, with the exception that two bylaws would be considered at the same time: the OCP amendment Bylaw and the Zoning Amendment Bylaw.

The fee for such a joint OCP/Zoning Application is $1500, except in rare circumstances where a complex application requiring extensive study may incur an application fee of $3,500. 

Where a "stand-alone" OCP change is applied for, the fee is $1000. The procedure would be as follows:

  1. Come into the Town office and discuss your proposal with the staff.  Call 485-6200 for further information.
  2. Once you understand all the requirements, a formal application form is filled out and submitted made up as follows:
    • Completed application form
    • Application fee
    • Copy of Certificate of State of Title or of Indefeasible Title
    • Information on the purpose of your application
  3. Staff will prepare a report to council to describe your proposal and its anticipated impacts, both positive and negative. Where applicable, comments will also be sought from the neighbouring regional district or other affected agencies. Council usually expects staff to make recommendations on whether or not to approve your application.

  4. Council will consider the OCP change request at a future regular meeting. Practically, this cannot happen for at least a two weeks to one month after the application is made. If the amending bylaw is accepted in principle by council, they may give first and second readings to the bylaw.

  5. Changing the OCP designation of a property will often impact the nature of the surrounding neighbourhood. Thus, all OCP changes are advertised and the public is given an opportunity to voice their opinions to council at a public hearing. The public hearing is normally held two weeks after the meeting at which first and second reading of the bylaw were given. Notice of the public hearing is placed in two consecutive issues of a local newspaper and sent to all property owners and tenants in occupation within thirty metres of the affected property. Staff may prepare  report with supplementary information to council.

  6. At the Council meeting after the public hearing, council may give third reading and final adoption to the amending bylaw.

  7. Council may abandon the bylaw at any time and in effect refuse your application. If your application is refused or is withdrawn prior to advertising for the public hearing, a fifty percent (or $200 whichever is less) refund of the application fee will be made.

Land Use Bylaws